Memories, Forgotten

12/4/23

When I need inspiration to write, I often read a poem-of-the-day on one of the following sites:


12/4/2023 Inspiration: “Yiddishland” by Erika Meitner https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57958/yiddishland 


My poem…


“Memories, Forgotten” by Amber Counts


I listened to my grandmothers’ stories.

I swear I did.

I leaned forward with anticipation each time

They shared their experiences,

Told tales of our ancestors whom I would never know

(But whose choices still shape reality),

Or allowed glimpses into who they were–

Separate from my grandmothers–

        Who they really were–

        I listened.

And I remember a great deal, but not enough.

My ancestors’ names have begun slipping through

Gaps in my memory.

How many siblings accompanied each of my great-grandparents

Along his or her life’s journey?

Why did my maternal family move to Texas

(And from where did they come)?

How many stories of love, adversity, and perseverance

Are now lost to time?

At least some of that loss is my fault.

So I will tell my children how one of their great-grandmothers 

Skipped school to drag-race

While the other skipped class to ride in an open-cockpit biplane.

And I will record how one married for love

While the other married for War.

And I will report how the love of these two

Infinitely strong and compassionate women

Saved and shaped my life.

At least this will be remembered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Station Eleven - a Review (With Spoilers!)

Prayer to the Teachers to Forgive them for Solely Using TPCASTT

"Moist" - A Poem about a Much Maligned Word