Writing with Mentor Texts #1: What they Did Yesterday Evening

As part of training on Writing with Mentor Texts, we've been asked to access the movingwriters.org site and find mentor texts to use as inspiration. It's a great resource for finding mentor texts to use for personal writing and/or with students. Check it out!

Mentor text used (from movingwriters.org):





















My poem inspired by this piece:


“What they Did Yesterday Evening” by Amber Counts June, 2020

They staged a protest in front of my school;
I selfishly worried that they might loot my classroom,
as my window faces the front of the building.

I thought about all the treasures I might lose –
drawings made by students, little scraps of origami
with notes to the teacher, framed photos of students
who graduated years ago,
stuffed animals
representing inside class jokes –
representing the class culture I always work to build –
the inclusive culture I always hope to build –
and I think about the students who left these treasures behind:
many of them students of color.

And I think about the ways I fell short.
I think about the ways I continue to learn and to do better.
I think about how when I started to draw sketches of my favorite authors,
I began with white ones. Three, in all, before adding my favorite black authors.
Though this was unintentional,
the fact remains that I see what I did.
I see the inadvertent message I sent
when only those 3 white authors hung on my wall.
I will never again be so unintentionally biased.

I will not worry about my things being looted
more than I worry about the people who feel moved to loot them.

I see the diversity of the protestors who met
yesterday evening outside of my school
as a strength.
But I also see that we have a long way to go.
Together.
And I see that we cannot change the world
unless we do the difficult work
of truly seeing ourselves.
Seeing ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Station Eleven - a Review (With Spoilers!)

Prayer to the Teachers to Forgive them for Solely Using TPCASTT

"Moist" - A Poem about a Much Maligned Word